Interesting point about about the DSP in the KX3. I was told at Dayton
that the DSP in the KX3 was several generations newer than what we have
in the K3.

With the audio problems Elecraft has had on the board (additional
daughter card) and the continued continued complaints about audio
distortion (Sherwood), maybe they will redesign the card with the newest
DSP generation and offer it to K3 owners as an upgrade. Of course, this
would lead to some interesting DSP firmware distribution problems with
different hardware platforms to support!
   - 73, John, N0TA

  [Elecraft] DSP Noise Reduction and contesting

Johnny Siu
Wed, 07 Nov 2012 07:59:57 -0800

Hello Tony,

I concur with your observation.  In SSB, the NR in Icom is far better.  Among
all the 8 x 4 = 32 choices in NR settings in K3, I am afraid that none of them
is as good as that of NR of Icom in SSB.

The success of the implementation of IF DSP will depend on:

1.  the processing power of the DSP chip set;
2.  the ability to write an efficent firmware to optimise the performance of
the DSP chip set.

Surprisingly, while I was told that the NR in KX3 was the same as that in K3, I
feel the NR in KX3 sounds better and less artifact.

I trust elecraft keeps on looking for ways to improve the NR performance.

TNX & 73,

Johnny VR2XMC