> I've always thought that the simple bubble algorithm was amazing.

I don't understand the ins and outs of tuner algorithms, but I've always
thought it was a shame that the first sort we teach people in Computer
Programming 101 is the Bubble Sort. It's horribly inefficient (sort times
are proportional to the square of the number of items) and is conceptually
difficult for beginners because it doesn't match the way people sort things
in real life.

In this particular case, if you were to iterate over all possible
combinations of L and C it's only necessary to store the best result so far
and compare the current result to the best result. If the current result is
better, it becomes the new best. Now you have no sorting at all and your
time is order N instead of order N^2.

OTOH it sounds like there are characteristics of the problem that would
allow you to shortcut the process and not necessarily try every combination.
That's where some knowledge of the way tuners work should pay off, as has
been described by others.

Craig
NZ0R
K1 #1966