Charles,

I have tried that method ... ditto setting L and searching for best C. It works but is no better than the one I am using now which is to begin with both L and C at 0 and then search for the best C for every L as L increases from 0 to max. The searching is done in large steps (coarse granularity, to use Waynes term) so it doesn't take very long to cover the range. When a best solution is found the steps are then decreased in size while searching a limited range around that solution. Typical solutions take from 5 to 10 seconds and I know it could be much quicker using a more clever algorithm. I am happy with what I have because once a solution is found and stored the tuner tunes from memory anyway, switching in milliseconds.

I keep pursuing this because of the challenge, the same reason I do crosswords and computer games.

Don  K7FJ

Why not take an approach normal to the manual tuner. That is capacitance to mid scale and adjust L to best. Then adjust C up or down from midscale for
min. ? Doing this with a possible repeat  for missing the L value by +/- 1
has always yielded me good fast manual results on my old mfj tuners and
doesn't require a tremendous number of iterations or complex programming.

best regards,

Charles
wb5izd

A reiterative  multilevel slope-sensing algorithm using decreasing
granularity*  is the answer.  I have been slowely creeping up on a
satisfactory solution and, depending on distractions, hope to have a fairly
fast autotuner in a week or so.  Suggestions from the list have been very
helpful.

* my term ... don't try to look it up!  ;)

Don  K7FJ