Thanks to the many people, both on and off the list, who pointed out current uses of RS-232 in industrial systems and datacenters and the limited availability of RS-232 interfaces on new computers including laptops. Indeed, there is nothing that is completely obsolete in electronics and computers.

I will point out that a full K line system is 4 boxes from Elecraft each containing perhaps several CPUs/DSPs/etc. Add in a Window/Mac/Linux computer with all of them communicating with each other it is no longer just a simple point-to-point communication problem. (And I am very glad I can load firmware in my K3 without disconnecting the P3.)

Cheers - Bill, AE6JV