I already decided not to install batteries inside my KX3. But it was not primarily to avoid damage due to leakage of electrolyte. Opening and closing the KX3 seems a little delicate to me. One has to ensure the connecting wiring is intact and not being pinched. I just decided to use an external sealed acid-gel battery if I need to go portable. In the shack or mobile I will simply plug the power cord in.

I do have NiMH batteries inside my MFJ-269B. I did try using alkaline batteries but they did not last long enough. The rechargeable NIMH have been installed about two years with no issues. I charge it using my 3A bench supply (current regulated). 2-4 hours on 14v does it. No leakage issues.

Even with warrantees from manufacturers I would not trust alkaline's for long-term use.

73, Ed - KL7UW