Phil,

Connection to the AC ground should be adequate and safe - if a receptacle is properly grounded, remove the screw in the center of the cover plate and attach a terminal lug there.

If your station ground is connected by a heavy guage wire to the Utility Entry ground point, then I will agree with your that the station ground will do.

We all know that there are references to "station ground" that are connected to driven ground rods that are NOT connected to the Utility Entry ground.

I need to point out that not only is that a violation of NEC grounding requirements, but it presents safety hazards for anyone in contact with that station ground under AC wiring fault conditions. All grounds must be connected together except for structures separated by 100 feet or more.

See the 2010 (or later) ARRL Handbook for further information.

I apologize if this sounds like a rant, but it is not - it is concern for the safety of each and every ham.

73,
Don W3FPR