Brian,

I cannot give you an official "Elecraft" answer, but I will share my opinion. The KX3 hardware is stable - there have been a few (but very few) changes since the first KX3 shipped (I have the first one off the production line). Elecraft always offers a path to upgrade the hardware with mod kits or other methods, so I recommend that you do not delay buying the KX3 because of possible hardware changes.

The firmware is also stable right now, but do expect improvements to come along in the future. Updating the firmware is an easy matter with the KX3 Utility, Just download the new firmware. There is no cost involved - the firmware upgrades are free.

You can expect to see firmware upgrades for possibly the next few years as users request special features that are important to them. Elecraft has been very good about responding positively to that sort of change in the K3, and I expect nothing less for the KX3 firmware. There are still changes being made to the K3 as a result of user requests, yet each release of the firmware is stable. Each release goes through a Field Test with a small group of users, then it may be released as a beta version so many more users can run it through their normal operation. If no major problems are reported, it is then released to production and available for normal download.

So my bottom line is - do not wait any longer, order now and enjoy the KX3 - it is a stable platform and have confidence that you can always keep it up to date if there are future changes.

As a further example, I have K2 SN 00020 that has been fully upgraded, and with very few minor circuit changes is just as good as a new K2 ordered today. Buy Elecraft with confidence that it will not be obsolete after you buy it.

73,
Don W3FPR