Chris,

There is one thing that might produce the condition you state, and that is if you have 40 meters set for USB. Tap the band button and see if there is a "u" in the left of the display when the "7" digit is displayed.

The KX1 firmware controls both the transmit and receive frequencies. The receive frequency is offset by whatever you set into the sidetone pitch, and the frequency indicated on the dial should be the transmit frequency.

So, if the transmit frequency is indeed off, it must be due to the firmware.
That has nothing to do with the BFO and DDS settings on the KX1.

Are you certain the receiver you are using to listen to the KX1 is in CW mode? If it is in SSB mode, its dial indication may be shifted by the amount that receiver has set in its sidetone pitch parameter. I know Yaesu changes the displayed frequency when going from SSB to CW, and they shift the transmit frequency when in CW mode. Elecraft does it differently and always displays the transmit frequency, but shifts the frequency for receive.

73,
Don W3FPR