I did this small mod to power the KAT100 from my K2/100, to simplify wiring when operating portable. I added a miniature slide switch across D10 on the main K2 board. Closing the slideswitch makes the original K2 12V socket into an aux 12V output. A short cable (4") with a power plug on each end then links between the K2 and KAT100. Even with D10 shorted in this way, F1 and D12 give a level of reverse polarity protection should a 12V source be plugged into the K2. However, normal operation (aux 12V in) with full reverse polarity protection can easily be restored by opening the slide switch.

I made up a short PL259 cable (6") to link the K2/100 RF into the KAT100. Also, a short (5") cable for the data connection, with an additional 9 way socket on a 5" cable to take a standard RS232 cable should a PC link be required. This is wired as per the KAT100 manual.

Finally I use a length of 25way (1.25" wide) grey ribbon cable, which wraps around the K2/100 with KAT100 below, near the front (running behind the KAT100 front feet and in front of the K2/100 heatsink). This is secured to itself using velcro underneath the KAT100. Along with the mating back feet, this gives single stand alone/wired unit that is very convenient for taking out portable, without any hole drilling/brackets, or other irreversible mods.

73 Fraser G4BJM #4368