Even with the utility connected, though, there doesn't appear to be any easy way to save setups based on names or frequencies. Maybe I've missed it since I'm not using the utility.

73,
Larry N8LP

On 12/25/2012 12:00 PM, elecraft-requ...@mailman.qth.net wrote:
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2012 12:54:36 -0800
From: Wayne Burdick<n...@elecraft.com>
To: ab2tc<ab...@arrl.net>
Cc:elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: [Elecraft] KAT500 LC settings recall -- complete explanation
        (including auxBus tradeoffs)

So what we're talking about now is whether it would be worth sending
frequency data from the K3 to the KAT500--at the time of keying--over
either the auxBus or the RS232 port. The answer, IMHO, is no. In
either case it would take approximately the same amount of time to
send the data as it would for the KAT500 to do RF sensing of the VFO
frequency.

If someone has a better idea or would like to explain their operating
scenario further, I'm all ears.

73,
Wayne
N6KR