I am at the beach and decided to 'play' in last weekend's rtty contest with my
K2/100. I also have the KAT100 with me, and used the Rigblaster nomic as the
sound card interface.

I was pretty impressed with the rx in the contest. I am sure 80% of the qsos
did not show any deflection on the s-meter. The usage of the KDSP2 was very
positive. I set the AFIL filters to center on 1.1 Khz and did a range of
bandwiths, from 800-250. After a while, I mainly used the 500 hz bandwidth
filter. It was as good as the filtering in my old Icom crystal setups.

I can concur with the discussion hoping that someday we could have a KFSK2 card
so I did not have to manage the afsk set-up.

I was disappointed to not be able to do any 40/80m rtty. The swr on both is
below 1.5/1 but anything over 8 watts would cause the k2 to reset itself.
Listening through the 'audio out' port on the nomic, the audio coming from the
PC had a strong swoosh sound just before the reset of the K2. I suspect it must
be some RF in the shack. I do not have a dummy load so I cannot accurately
state the cause. I hope its stray RF. I can work cw on both bands at full power
with no issue.

I bought a computer fan at Staples that you normally mount in the computer case
where all of the pci cards are. I clipped off the excess aluminum tabs, got a
large rubber band and put it on top of the K2 to blow over the heat sink. The
fan is not so noisy and I felt much better that the 50 watts were not causing
any real damage.  If anyone is considering any sustained psk/rtty operations,
you might consider this approach.

All in all, it was a positive experience. I hope to learn the cause of the
40/80m problem. Now if I just had that Elecraft power amp......

73 de Neal k3nc