Paddles are like boats - you can spend as much or as little as you want.
There are many excellent paddles within most budgets.

Don't take anyone's word for which paddle is "best" or you will like. It's
a matter of personal preference. The range of qualities and prices is very
broad. Try before you buy unless cost is no object.

If you're on a budget, visit friends or a ham radio store and try their
paddles. Pick the one that feels best that also fits your budget. It will
be a difficult decision but fun to work on.

If you're not on a tight budget, browse the dozens of paddle manufacturer
Web sites, drool over the beautifully machined works of art and pick
whatever looks good to you. Use it for a few months, then repeat the
process. Eventually you will have two or three magnificent paddles on your
shack table and a shelf full of display items to admire or re-sell. It's an
expensive process but lots of fun.  ;-)

My favorites that I own: Begali Simplex, Elecraft/Bencher HexKey, Shurr
Profi; used to own: Bencher BY-n; still drooling over: the rest of the
Begali line. I've also owned one paddle that I hated and quickly re-sold. I
won't name it because some folks think it's great!

All my favorites are dual lever because you can use them with or without
iambic keying. Single lever paddles are fine if you want to make a
religious statement against iambic keying.

73 and welcome back to CW!

/Rick N6XI

On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 1:40 PM, Clifford Hynds <vk2...@gmail.com> wrote:

> HI,
>
> OK this is probably a hard question but I am looking at something other
> than a straight key to try my hand at CW again. Thought it time to go back
> to basics and QRP.
>
> Single or Dual paddles , suggested paddles?
>
> Open to suggestions ?
>
> thanks in advance,
>
> Cliff Vk2CCJ

Rick Tavan N6XI