I have done most of my QSOs on PSK31 and 5 watts. They include 49 states (still missing Rhode Island), and about 16 DXCC entities including Japan, Cuba, Brasil, and Australia. You can have a lot of fun with 5 watts, and with QRP you'll have stories about the ones that got away.

Don's advice about narrowing your bandwidth is very good advice. I generally use the HI/Low bandwidth adjustments on my K3 to narrow the bandwidth around the station I am trying to contact until my 250Hz filter kicks in. (I lock the K3 VFO to avoid bumping it and moving the station on my computer waterfall.) Your KX3 has similar controls for the DSP bandwidth. I find my dynamic range limit is in the audio interface to the computer, and narrowing the bandwidth in the DSP gets rid of most of the other stations which overload the computer sound input.

Have fun with the digital modes.

Cheers - Bill, AE6JV