On Feb 10, 2013, at 2:27 PM, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:

> > it just chafes me that we're fussing with the best A/D converter for
> > a signal that was originally digital.
>
> Whoa!  *Any* signal you receive with an antenna is *analog*.  You may
> convert it to digital for detection but it is an analog signal.  In
> addition, any voice (phone) signal started out life as an analog
> pressure wave impacting the diaphragm of a microphone which produced
> an analog electrical voltage.
>
> 73,
>
>   ... Joe, W4TV

Of course RF is analog. I got my degree in signals and systems, including DSP.

The demodulated signal inside the KX3 is digital. That signal is converted to
analog, and then back to digital for use in a PC.

All these issues with ground loops and isolation and line/mic levels would
disappear with a digital-to-digital connection.

wunder
K6WRU