Bob,

I use the XV144 here w/ my K3, and my Config:xvtr power is set to "L1.00", and that will easily drive the XV144 power LED's into the red. I suspect the issue is not with your K3 settings, but rather with the jumpers inside the XV144 and the setting of R22 that acts as an input attenuator.

73, Dale
WA8SRA