I've had something similar.  The cause on my K3 (SN 2887) appears to be some
sort of intermittent problem in the current-sensing circuit.  The K3
presumably detects excess current, assumes it is the stereo audio chip being
shorted by a mono speaker (it isn't!), and switches itself to mono to
protect the chip.

Watch the K3's current meter: at times, mine varies wildly between 1 and N
amps where N is 'several', on receive, doing nothing much at all.   Right
now, my K3 is reading a stable 1.10 amps.

The last time this issue happened to me was about 6 months ago.  The actual
current draw from the supply was stable but the K3's meter was kicking
around, occasionally tripping the protection circuit.  It cleared up by
itself for no obvious reason.  I've had it a couple of times before that
too.  I wonder if it might be a dry joint in that area or a dodgy
current-sensing chip.

73
Gary  ZL2iFB

believed to be clean.