Bob,

Just another data point ...

I also run the XV144 w/ my K3. I tried your test in SSB mode and CW mode, and in both cases, turning the PWR knob on the K3 while modulating or key-down (on cw) simply changes the power to the xvtr as evidenced by the change in the number of LED's that are lit. I was unable to cause it to just drop as you have experienced.

73, Dale  WA8SRA