From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Mark Goldberg
Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2013 1:28 PM
To: Joe Subich, W4TV
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] CM-500

A standard aviation microphone approved to TSO C58 is supposed to meet
DO-214 "Audio Systems Characteristics And Minimum Operational Performance
Standards For Aircraft Audio Systems And Equipment" although not all do.
Unless you belong to the RTCA, it will cost money to see that document. The
standard is bias excitation is 8 to 16V with a 470 ohm current limiting
resistor, providing about 10 ma to what usually is an amplifier circuit in
the mic. The ac output level is supposed to be between .02 and .08 V/Pa,
where  1 Pa is 94 dB SPL referenced to 20 uPa. Normal close speech is in the
range of about 1 to 10 Pa, so this is pretty high compared to a lot of other
mics, up to .8 V. I have not tried connecting one up, but I would think if
you had a resistor that provides about 10 ma it should work, if the rig can
stand that high an input and if the bias can supply 10 ma.
Active Noise Cancelling headsets have other power options, maybe running off
28V. I am not aware of 48V systems in Commercial aviation, but I don't know
everything that is out there. Carbon mics were different but not common any
more.

One issue is to keep the load mic preamp from disturbing the bias. I had to
filter the bias end of the series resistor on one rig with a big cap. Also,
connections vary.

Mark

http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.**htm<http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm>