Bob - The K3 manual does not give as much detail as the KX3 manual which
describes the functions as follows....

"Audio Signal Level AFV. This display shows the approximate level of the
audio output, prior to the AF gain control (in other words, the AF gain
control has no effect on the reading). The reading will vary with preamp
and attenuator settings as well as the RF gain control. AFV is normally
used in conjunction with the dBV function.

"Relative audio signal (dBV). This display can be used to measure
receiver sensitivity or gain/loss of various stages, or compare two
signals. To use it, first select AFV and allow the voltage reading to
stabilize. (This may not be possible with modulated or rapidly changing
signals.) Once the signal appears stable, select dBV. You should now see
a reading of around 0dBV relative to the last AFV reading. If you change
the setting of the preamp or attenuator, you should see this reading
change. However, it may not change as much as you expect unless you turn
AGC off. (Be sure to turn AF gain down BEFORE turning AGC off, as the
signal may become very loud.) Measurement of receive sensitivity (MDS)
requires a calibrated 1-uV signal source such as an Elecraft XG1/2/3.
These sources include instructions for measuring MDS."

I hope that helps, Bob.

73 de David G4DMP

In a recent message, KD7YZ Bob <kd...@denstarfarm.us> writes
--