To: <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Friday, October 07, 2005 10:38 PM
Subject: Sal Ammoniac (WAS: [Elecraft] Hakko 808 tips)

Steve, AA4K wrote:

I'd be very reluctant to use a soldering iron tip cleaned with sal ammoniac
on electronic equipment. For some manufacturers, it will void the warranty.

----------------------

Now that's an interesting thought. What possible harm does a common salt
(NH4)Cl do, especially if it's used as a cleaner that is long gone before
the iron ever approaches an electronic component, not as a soldering aid.

It's been a long time since I fiddled with that strange stuff, but Jerry
reminds me that it is an excellent de-oxidizer. One of its interesting
properties is that it is NEVER a liquid. It is either a solid or a gas,
depending upon the temperature. It's the gas boiling off of the solid
material when heated that provides the cleaning action.

I've never seen an electronics company that worried about irons that had
been cleaned with the stuff, Steve. Please fill us in!

Ron AC7AC