Hi David,    The internet connections in his house are very likely not as well
grounded/connected with quality cat5 or better wire, and the entry point of
stray rf, could be any one of the runs of internet wiring that he may have
strung around. A clue may be, how much power does it take to "mess up" his
connections. During the initial conversation it would be good to establish if
it is any connection or just one that is a problem... any website... any
location in the house... or every location... what does he have for a router??
Wireless or wired?and when did it start? Relative to when he added or changed
something? That would a clue to locate the offending connection.  Good luck,
this is a tuff one... lots of pitfalls... to watch out for... you don't want to
suggest a complete wire change... you'll be wiring his house for network....
although... it sounds like that could likely fix it.

Have a great day,

Dale - WC7S in Wy