Anything you can drink alcohol during and eat carne asada while doing is not a
sport. Haha!

But then again I used to play on corporate softball team and that is exactly
what we did. I did consider softball a sport as people were very competitive,
cursed a lot, tried tactics of intimidation and ridicule (ham radio does have
that going for it), and people got hurt. I think physical exertion and risk of
physical harm are the things that are lacking to convince me ham radio is a
sport IMHO.

For a long time I was thinking of combining snowboarding and DXing together as
an activity. Maybe remote on top of Mammoth looking for a tree to hang an
antenna and working DX, but even that would not be a sport. Much as I used to
run long distance races (Oahu Perimeter run, half marathons, 20k, etc) but I
don't really consider that a sport. Even the iron man in hawaii is not a sport,
it is an endurance competition. Ham radio can be a competitive activity but it
is mostly a great challenging hobby.

Another thought, I have a couple family members whose company has major TV
special effects and post production contracts with ESPN, CBS sports and the
Bundesliga and others, so maybe I can ask them to poll their clients on whether
they believe that ham radio is a sport. It would make for a very interesting
discussion maybe on the Jim Rome show or sportscenter. Lol.

Keith
AK6ZZ

Sent from my iPhone please excuse typos