The charging voltage was measured with the battery connected.

Although it says "ca 665" on it, judging by the size it must 65 AH!

I charged it for a period of 12 hours with an initial charging current of about 7A, which dropped to 2A.

I replaced the old battery because it went dead, and then when I charged it it did not recover. I think the voltage regulator was bad and not producing enough charging voltage. Then the battery was damaged because I didn't notice it was dead for a couple of weeks.

The new battery also went dead. I then checked the charging voltage and it was 13.8V. I thought it was marginal, so I replaced the voltage regulator. Now I'm getting 14.5V when the engine is running. But I am thinking that I damaged the new battery when I allowed it to die before replacing the voltage regulator.

The connections have been cleaned. It is not particularly hard to start (cranks for about 5-7 seconds and starts). No drain at all when it is off.