I have frequently seen postings to this group from people who have just
acquired or built a new KX1 / K1 / KX3
and are looking for a portable end fed wire antenna length that can be matched
on some combination
of bands, using the internal tuner of their Elecraft Rig.

The simple answer is,  you need to stay away from multiples of a
half-wavelength on the bands
that you wish to use the antenna on.

Going through some of my antenna bookmarks in my web browser I found a couple
of links that
I will share that should make this a lot easier to figure out a wire length
that will work
(i.e. load with a usable SWR) for your particular choice of bands :

http://www.hamuniverse.com/randomwireantennalengths.html

and

http://udel.edu/~mm/ham/randomWire/

(Note that in the last figure on this second link, it is lengths with "white
space" under the corresponding
lettered band combinations that you want to use for an antenna length that will
work on that combination of bands.)

I hope that this is helpful.

Michael VE3WMB

P.S. For end fed wires (not halfwaves) I have always had good luck erecting
them as inverted vees or inverted-Ls
and using a few ground radials  that are a minimum of 1/8 wavelength long at my
lowest planned operating frequency.
(ie. usually 16 ft). There was a study done that shows that unless you are
deploying more than about 20 radial wires
making them any longer than 1/8 wave on the lowest band doesn't really improve
antenna efficiency by very much.

As usual it is a tradeoff between reasonable antenna efficiency and convenience
(i.e. I think that few portable operators
have the patience to lay down 20+ radials).