I drive my KPA500 with a KX3. The KPA 500 has the January release firmware
(sorry I don't have the number and I'm not at my QTH).

I generally have the tuner in the KX3 disabled because it should be when
running throught the KPA500, and isn't needed when operating directly into
my resonant fan dipoles.

In normal operation I see about the same SWR in both modes: say 1.3:1 on
the low end of 20.

However, if I've been using the KPA 500, then turn both it and the KX3 off,
then turn the KX3 on to use it without the amp, I'll see a very high SWR at
the KX3.

Power cyclking the KPA500 via the front panel switch does not clear the
issue (I don't think I've tried it by turning off the master power switch
onthe rear and I'm 3000 niles from the home QTH as I write this). To clear
it, I need to set the KPA500 to operate and briefly transmit - even a
single dit is enough. At that point the KX3 sees a normal SWR and I can
turn the KPA 500 off and continue to see a normal SWR.

This behavior is mildly annoying and doesn't seem right.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

73, Chris NW6V