I use APF only as a last resort, Robert.  It can sometimes help me dig out
and record very weak 10m beacons under QRM from adjacent beacons, with CW
filters on turbo, sometimes also using the manual notch filter to try to
kill the worst QRM.  It takes time to peak the desired signal precisely on
the nose of the APF, using the fine tuning setting, the CWT function and
watching audio levels with the audio recording software (Audacity in my
case).   Beacons transmit continuously so there is no mad rush to get it set
up.  For regular DX QSOs, it's not worth the bother in my opinion, but as I
recall the APF facility was introduced in response to requests from 160m
DXers desperate to glean the faintest sniff of RF from the ionosphere.

It does indeed ring.  There is probably a physics lecturer desperate to tell
us that ringing is an inevitable consequence of the very tight filtering,
plus artifacts from the digital processing I guess.  Ringing gets worse with
fast CW but beacons tend to send quite slowly.

73
Gary   ZL2iFB

believed to be clean.