I've searched a lot and can't find the answer so I'm asking the group.

Is it possible to use the iPad as "detachable head" for a K2, K3 or KX3,
using a direct connection (no Bluetooth / PC / wireless / Internet)?

I know the Apple Camera Connectivity Kit with some USB audio adapters give
you a panadapter for the KX3 but I'm interested in very basic primary
control (tuning, filters) and display (frequency) by sending and receiving
commands via USB.

I have a feeling that when you connect the iPad to the KUSB via the the
Camera Connectivity Kit, iOS will say "unsupported device," but I don't
have a KUSB here - can anyone confirm?

Even so, is it possible to write an app to communicate with the rig in this
setup, despite the lack of official support? I realize that won't have
Apple's blessing but I'm interested in running this on my own device, not
putting it in the store.

Thanks,
Andrew, NV1B
..