Further to that, if you desire, as I might, to have more radiation in one direction, eg from here to North America, I would have one elevated radial pointing that way and the radiation pattern tilts that way a little.

One further point not brought out so far: the antenna itself does not have to be resonant; as long as the impedance is transformed to match the tx, it will accept power and radiate, minus the transformation and system losses.

Since ocf has been mentioned a few times: I've seen VNA sweeps of ocf aerials in which the vswr dips nicely in band but the resonance as shown by X passing thro zero is often nowhere near.

David
G3UNA

IMPT POINT: If you want your antenna actually to have a vertical radiation pattern (low angle, omni-directional) then the elevated radials must be symmetric. If there are two, they must be of exactly equal length and point in exactly opposite directions. If there are four, they must be equal and point in directions 90 degrees from one another. This symmetry guarantees that the "radials" do not radiate. The do carry currents, they do help resonate the antenna, but if they are symmetric radiation from them cancels and they therefore do not radiate appreciably.

73,

Oliver
W6ODJ