Hi Gernot,

 your ATU problem looks similar to mine, maybe you changed antennas and some
settings for a different antenna are still in the tuner? If this is the case,
you probably have to clear the ATU's memories.

Maybe you want to see this discussion:
http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/KX3-antenna-tuner-intermittend-operation-td7573335.html

Vy 73,

Ralf, DL6OAP