Use DATA-A mode.

Normally DATA-A modfe defaults to upper sideband, whereas the convention for
RTTY seems to be lower sideband. This means that the RTTY signals wil lappear
"inverted" and this may explain why you have problems to decode the RTTY.

The best solution is to select RTTY-reverse in your RTTY program, so that the
software will know to invert the signal as it decodes it. Otherwise, it is
possible to put the KX3 in DATA-A REV mode in order to invert the signal, but
this may cause you problems later if you try to decode other asymetric digital
signals (such as MFSK).

AFSK-A mode is designed to by used only with RTTY, and uses the KX3 to do
narrow DSP filtering, as you have seen. If you want a wider bandwidth, use
DATA-A mode, and let your digital mode software do any required DSP filtering
itself.

In general, USB mode should not be used for digital modes at all (of course it
can be made to work, with some caveats like those you already mentioned, but
it's generally best to steer clear of it).

73, Matt VK2RQ