Jim,

I ran the KX3 with my Mirage A1015G running 125w into a 3-elem yagi for the June (8/9) ARRL VHF Contest and had no trouble hearing and working 6m stations. I run the internal preamp set to 30-dB gain. With that setting the noise floor raises to S2-3 which is about right. The s-meter registers zero with PRE off.

Unlike the K3 the KX3 seems to hear well using the internal preamp. You may wish to set the gain to 20-dB if you like quieter monitoring. I have not measured MDS level using the shielded XG3 and very good step attenuators/double-shield coax. -107 dBm level produces a strong signal.

My KX3 spends idle time monitoring 50.125 USB for openings.

73, Ed - KL7UW
http://www.kl7uw.com
dubus...@gmail.com
"Kits made by KL7UW"