I don't have a K2, but maybe I can shed some light on it:

<<Is access to terminals and exchange of  int. battery for KX3 as inconvenient
as it is for the K2?>>
Access to the terminals is not really required to change the internal battery.
You simply loosen the 4 screws that hold the case halves together, pull and
rotate the case halves apart, remove the 8 cells from the holder, and replace
them with new ones.

Take a look at the Owner's Manual, Page 23:

http://www.elecraft.com/manual/E740163%20KX3%20Owner%27s%20man%20Rev%20B4.pdf

I went with NiMH rechargeable cells since I don't trust alkaline cells to
remained sealed.  NiMH can leak as well, but it is far less common and doesn't
seem to be as destructive.  I have been using them for years, and the only
leakage I have experienced has been with them sitting in a box completely
discharged for several years.  The latest generation (Sanyo Eneloop among
others) may be even better since they have a much lower self-discharge rate.
That is what I use in my KX3.  Since I also use the KXBC3 charger, I seldom
open the case.

<<Is there a series diode on the ext. power connector that will cause forward
bias voltage drop if powered by external battery?>>
Yes, but it is on the Control Panel Board Assembly.  It is a CMS04 Schottky
Barrier Diode, so the drop is only about 0.2 volts during receive, and 0.3
volts during transmit.

Hope this helps.

Mark
KE6BB