 From: Bill Frantz <fra...@pwpconsult.com>
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Sent: Thursday, June 27, 2013 1:03 PM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Seeting digital RX levels - was: ARRL Field Day

As far as I can tell, the sound card is the limiting factor in
receive IMD generation when using a K3, KX3 or K2. I try to run
my receive just below where the computer software indicates the
digital levels are distorting, and control that level with the
RF gain control. This procedure seems to keep all the radio
pieces within their linear range. I can see IMD being generated
on my waterfall when I have the RF gain too high, and it is all
in my receive chain.

Measuring IMD on a PSK signal is not as easy as it seems. Any
band noise may be interpreted as IMD, so the weaker the signal,
the worse the IMD reading. Ideally IMD measurements will be
taken with a strong signal and without any data -- so you just
have the PSK idle "railroad tracks". I just ignore IMD
measurements from stations I am only receiving weakly, assuming
they are also receiving me weakly. From strong stations, I get
good reports.

As for obnoxious, rude reports; they aren't limited to PSK. I
answered a CQ on 80M SSB running QRP and the ham at the other
end just said, "Get an amp!" A signal report and a comment that
I was too weak to continue the conversation would seem to be the
least one should expect. I'll just try to remember not to behave
rudely myself.

Cheers - Bill, AE6JV