Re:  I wish the KX3 had a lock frequency function which would be useful when I
have to do this, why is this still missing?

Dom,

Not quite sure what you mean by "lock frequency", but try holding the
RATE/KHZ key down for at least 3 seconds (longer than the normal
press/hold).  The display will show a lock icon next to the frequency
display, and the vfo A knob will not change the frequency.  See the
owner's manual page 11 for more info and how to lock VFO B.

I have been reluctant to use my KX3 at the beach.  I have an ATS-3b that I used
often at the beach for many years, and it has its share of damage
from the salt fog environment.  It is much easier to seal, though,
because there are no knobs to turn.  Everything is done with button
presses, so operating it inside of a plastic freezer bag is relatively
simple.  For the KX3, I have considered using something thinner, such as a
turkey basting bag, but I really haven't had the time to experiment
with one yet.

Sounds like the knurled knobs that hold the case together are your concern.  I
don't think I would want to open my KX3 up in the salt fog environment I am
usually in...not even sure I want to take the radio out of a plastic bag!  If I
had unlimited resources (money), I would go ahead and operate and throw the
radio away when it stops working, but that isn't really an option right now.

I am interested in what others are doing/considering.

Mark
KE6BB