Bill,

Are you using headphones or a speaker?  And can you please describe?

73, Ted W4NZ

-----Original Message-----
From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Bill
Sent: Friday, July 19, 2013 9:48 AM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3 RX Audio

I am mostly a rag chewer and enjoy "armchair copy" audio. To that end, I
found the K3 was sadly lacking in good receive audio. Too much hiss and too
tinny sounding. In a word, "tiring" to listen to for long periods of time.

I thought about giving up and going back to my trusty TS480 with its
inherent excellent audio. However, as good as the 480 is, when the chips are
down for lousy conditions, the K3 shines. It is so flexible in operation.

Therein lies the K3's strengths - flexible.

I spend a long time trying many different settings with the K3 (learning a
lot about the K3's operations along the way), I eventually found some
settings of the K3's menus that do the job for me. My settings can be found
at:

http://www.w2blc.net/K3.htm

However, note these are my settings, and you may not like them. They are
meant for the 75 and 40 meter rag chewer - not the typical DX or contest
settings.  Your enjoyment may vary.

I had a long-term power outage here the other day and had to resort to using
the 480 (which had been gathering dust for several months). It works very
well and does the job well for me - however - (yes, however) it just doesn't
do as well as the K3 when it comes to summer static and adjacent channel
interference. It doesn't have a P3 either.

This got a little longer than I intended, but the K3 is the best rig I have
ever used - and I have been using for over well fifty years.

Bill W2BLC