> The audio LPF that was added to the DSP board has a cutoff frequency
> somewhere near 3.4 kHz if I recall.

The cutoff is 4.2 KHz - the same as the high limit of the DSP.

The K3 does have a very flat passband with steep skirts out to the
hi-cut value. I am guessing that the flat passband is what is
bothering you.

I'm convinced of that ... the vast majority of rigs I've tested over
the years have a low-pass roll off characteristic to their audio -
generally in the 3 to 6dB per octave range from about 5OO Hz up.
This can be simulated in the K3 by setting 400 Hz at 0, 800 at -3,
1600 at -6, 2400 at -8 and 3200 at -9 (3 dB per octave - double
for -6 dB per octave).  If one couples the 6 dB/octave roll off
with a bandwidth of 2.6 KHz (200 - 2800 Hz) there is very little
difference in the audio "sound" between the K3 and other mainline
rigs.

I prefer to keep my RX EQ flat from 400-2400 Hz, set 3200 at -16
and bring the bandwidth in to 2.4-2.6 KHz.  The "flat" setting at
2400 effectively provides a little intelligibility boost compared
to the other rigs for those times I have to use SSB.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV