I set power to 95 Watts in CW, then switch to USB and increase mic
gain to yield 50 Watts, in order to avoid audio distortion.

Absolutely backward with the K3.  As documented time and time again,
set the power to the desired level (e.g., if you want 50W set it for
50W) and adjust the mic gain (Line In level) until you see *five bars*
(four with the fifth flickering) and no more of ALC.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV