When I lived in Africa, Galena was used in the crystal sets which some of my friends and I built during the very early 1940s. Galena could be found in some outcrops of rock, many of which were present in our garden. Finding the "sweet" spot for the cats whisker could be difficult.

Although at home in Nyasaland (now 7Q7) the crystal sets could not receive any signals (no local BC stations), they were responsible for my obtaining a ham licence in 1946. Around 1941 a friend and I used to practice "morse" using a buzzer. We soon discovered that when the key was closed, a raspy buzzing sound could also be heard from a crystal set placed near the buzzer. One discovery led to another, leading to two-way buzzer contacts without interconnecting wires over distances of tens of feet. All came to a rapid halt when the source of strange noises on the family's SW BC receiver was found to be two cub scouts practicing morse!

73,
Geoff
LX2AO