From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Edward R Cole
Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2013 11:57 AM
To: Elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: [Elecraft] Antennas in the attic

Slightly off topic.

A few years ago my parents built a small home on the farm pond in a corner
parcel of their former farm (which they sold at retirement - age 77).  One
problem was TV reception and they didn't want to install an outside mast and
antenna.  I helped them select a medium sized VHF/UHF TV antenna (typical
modified log-perodic-yagi) and we searched for a way into the attic.  It was
not going to be fun in tight quarters with fiberglass batting.  Then it
occurred to me their
2-1/2 car garage had open rafters.  So I took the antenna with elements
still folded up there and unfolded it pointing toward the nearest station
(about 35mi).  A few years later they ended up with a DSS dish on the side
of the house.

Worked quite well without a preamp (TV booster) even on a couple UHF
stations.  RG6 was used to connect to their TV.

So this suggests that VHF and UHF ham antennas can also work in attics.

73, Ed - KL7UW
http://www.kl7uw.com
dubus...@gmail.com
"Kits made by KL7UW"