Guys...HELP!!!  I am having trouble with my KX3 and mode PSK D (PSK31).

When I attempt to use the KX3 only to generate PSK31 signals (that is no
computer interface…strictly the KX3 with the iambic paddle), I either do not
get any measurable RF output or, I do not get any stable RF output.

Setting the KX3 to mode PSK D and setting RF power to 5 or 10 watts and
attempting to initiate a PSK31 transmission with iambic paddles, the KX3
initially shows a quick RF power indication that immediately drops to 1 bar
indicated on the KX3 meter (should show 5 bars or 10 bars depending on the
power setting).  The no RF power output condition is verified using an
inline peak reading wattmeter attached to a 50 ohm dummy load. I can see the
initial RF power spike that drops to 0 watts on the external wattmeter.
Even though there is no power indicated, I can hear weak PSK31 audio being
generated when listening with a secondary receiver (ICOM R75) tuned to the
KX3 transmit frequency.

Adjusting the RF power knob while in PSK D transmit mode (sending the letter
“e” with the iambic paddle every 2 seconds) the KX3 will eventually show
some RF power being generated but RF power does not appear stable.  Power
indicated on the KX3 and power indicated on the external wattmeter does not
match the RF power setting of the KX3.

Listening to the KX3’s signal with the ICOM receiver shows the same erratic
power output (no S meter reading that jumps to S9+20 when dialing the power
DOWN on the KX3).  Pops and clicks can be also be heard on the ICOM when
adjusting the power knob of the KX3.

Here is the kicker…all other modes on the KX3 appear to work normally,/
including the internally generated FSK D mode/. Setting the KX3 to mode FSK
D and initiating a transmission using the iambic paddles shows /stable/ RF
output that matches the KX3’s RF power setting.  Adjusting the RF power
while in FSK D transmit shows smooth power progression from 0.1 watts to 12
watts and no audible clicks or pops are heard in the ICOM.

I was using 1.54 firmware but I’ve dialed back to the 1.48 official firmware
with no improvement.  I have also bypassed the internal ATU with no
improvement.

Is there any additional testing that anyone can think of before I send an
email to the service department?

73,
Dave
N5XL