From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Jim Bennett
Sent: Monday, September 02, 2013 5:17 PM
To: Elecraft Reflector Reflector
Subject: [Elecraft] W2 - Possible Addition to Station

Currently my station includes a K3/100, P3, Ameritron AL-811 amplifier, and
the LDG AT-600 ProII auto tuner with the M-600 analog display. I have the
10-watt 2 meter module installed in the K3. Further, I am in the process of
building the 80-watt linear amplifier for 2 meters that was presented by
W6PQL in the May 2013 issue of QST.

The above equipment does not have the ability to display SWR or power output
on 2 meters with the amplifier online. So, I've been looking at something to
fill this gap. One option was the $80 MFJ-873 V/U meter. A second, much more
expensive option is the Elecraft W2.

I'm not a big fan of a string of LED's for measurement of anything, as it
simply does not give the resolution one would like to have. I dealt with
that when I had the Elecraft KPA500 last year. Nice to look at, but not
overly big on resolution. What I DO like about the W2 is the software that
is available from the web site - the W2 Interface Program. In addition to
bar graphs for SWR and Power Fwd/Ref, there is a numeric display with a LOT
more resolution than one normally would see with any analog "meter". Since I
nearly always have my MacBook Air turned on when I operate, needing to have
a computer for higher resolution than LED's isn't an issue for me.

Out of 15 reviews on eHam.net, only two folks were displeased with the W2 -
one got a factory-assembled unit that was DOA and another fellow didn't care
for the LED operation. Discounting those two, the reviews were very
positive. HOWEVER, I've seen several W2 units up for sale here on the
reflector, and am wondering what's up with this product?  Are there problems
that haven't been noted on eHam.net, or are folks simply unloading unneeded
equipment?

I had thought that if I went for a W2, I'd initially get it with the VHF/UHF
coupler, connecting it between my K3's 2M module and the 80-watt amp. If I
liked the way it worked, I could opt for the second coupler (QRO 1.8-54MHz),
sell the LDG M-600 meter, and put that coupler between the K3 and the LDG
auto tuner. The few pennies I'd get for the M-600 would help offset the
price of the W2. Kinda.... :-)

Thoughts on the W2, folks?

Jim / W6JHB