On 9/2/2013 11:18 PM, Matt Moller wrote:
I don't have any experience with 43 ft verticals myself but have heard a lot about them and have been thinking about building one. I too would like to learn more.

The reason for my post asking for experience with this antenna and the Elecraft tuner is that I'm putting together a presentation on 43-ft verticals for Pacificon next month. So far, I've done a lot of modeling to understand how a 43-ft vertical behaves on all ham bands, both when ground-mounted and on the roof of a typical home (with two radials for each band 40-10M).

A few years ago, AD5X did some excellent work on matching a 43-ft vertical, with engineering that can best be described as heroic, and shared it in an fine Power Point that he's done for ham clubs, and that is on the internet. He's given me permission to include parts of it in my Pacificon talk. That talk is scheduled for Saturday morning.

The day before, as part of the Antenna Forum, I'm showing a rather extensive study with the title, "If I Could Put My Multi-Band HF Vertical On My Roof, Should I?" Except for the 43-ft vertical, nearly all commercial multi-band verticals are resonant on the bands they cover, and are either monopoles with radials (a classic ground plane), or vertical dipoles without radials. Various designs use anything from traps to a combination of traps, stubs, and matching sections to resonate the antenna and present a 50 ohm load. .

Both Power Points will be on my website after Pacificon.

As to radials -- some of the best work I've seen is by Rudy Severns, N6LF, who has done both extensive modeling and significant experimental work to confirm the models. His work is quite thoughtful, and presented in a manner that is quite readable (but not light reading). As to assigning resistance values to a given number and length of radials -- I've seen several published studies, some in the ARRL Handbook and Antenna Book, that come up with quite conflicting numbers. I suspect that the primary cause of the conflicting results is the nature of the soil underneath the radial system. At Pacificon last year I did a talk about getting on 160M from a residential lot, which is mostly about antennas, radial systems, and counterpoises. In it, I collected much of the better work I've seen about radial systems. The Power Point is on my website. http://k9yc.com/publish.htm

Based on my modeling, and upon an excellent set of measurements by N0AX and K7LXC of a dozen commercial verticals, if I had limited space and could not rig horizontal dipoles for the bands I wanted to work, I would use one of those commercial multi-band antennas configured as a vertical dipole, and I would put it on my roof.

73, Jim K9YC