Andy,

The K3 DSP works just fine. In fact all the filtering, modulation, demodulation as well as many other radio functions are implemented in DSP firmware, not just the NR that has been recently discussed.

These folks have specifically been talking about the K3 Noise Reduction algorithms. There are many settings for the K3 NR algorithm, and they are set on a per mode basis. It may take a bit of experimenting to find the setting that is most effective for your use since the best one depends on the characteristics of the noise as well as the mode being used. Some have commented that since they had the external device and it worked well with other radios, they also found it useful with the K3, and they did not have to experiment with the variety of settings offered by the K3.

If you are happy with the noise reduction in the KDSP2, be aware that all the K3 DSP firmware has been designed by the same person who designed the KDSP2 - Lyle Johnson KK7P.

73,
Don W3FPR