Here might be a hint, but not sure..

http://g0mgx.blogspot.com/2013/07/jt-what-ah-jt9.html?m=1

w7wo ..

Hi...Regarding WSJT-X JT-65 and JT-9 modulation of ssb with power set to 2
watts.

The Audio is clear and the tone is pure.  I cannot get ALC to hold at 4 or 5
bars.  It blinks and then drops out.  I am using a dummy load for the antenna
and MacBook Pro for audio.  Direct connect with Elecraft cables.  Changing
nothing in the setup and switching to fldigi PSK31 works FB.  I am perplexed.
It seems like the narrow audio of the JT sigs won't modulate the KX3.  Anybody
else doing this exercise or am I messing with the bleeding edge?

I have tried the obviuos input levels and KX3 mic GAIN.  Tried with power set
from 0 to 5 watts.  It truly feels like the JT tone is causing some kind of
interaction with ALC control..

Thanks,
73 de Bob w7wo