I had a HyTower in the late 60's. It worked well for me for several years in two locations. Istill haven't figured out how it worked exactly. I would sure like to hear an explanation of what those stubs actually did and how they were determined. Somebody must have written an analysis, but I have yet to find one.

Eric
KE6US

On 9/3/2013 8:35 PM, Charlie T, K3ICH wrote:
Remember the old Hy-Gain "Hy-Tower" ? It had tuning stubs brought out from various places in order to provide resonance on 10, 15 & 20 M, maybe even one for 40M. I have a manual around here but am too lazy to go find it. Anyway, I believe it was 57 feet overall and was rated for 80 - 10 M. You could add a base loading coil and an additional length of wire off the top mast for 160M. With an adequate radial system, they were the "cat's meow" of verticals back then. I always wondered how the connection points for those "resonators" was determined. Probably to limit interaction with other bands (??) Maybe some sort of similar set-up could be done with parallel wire stubs.

I remember trying to tune a four pair parallel wire dipole for 20, 17 , 15 and 10 M. What a bear. Tweak one band and it would screw up the others. I finally got it tuned, but had to completely replace all the wires since I had chopped and re-soldered all of them so many times. I used ½" PVC pipe spreaders which kept the four wires about 2" from each other. Once up, it would have been impossible to re-deploy due to tangles.

73, Charlie k3ICH

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Brown" <j...@audiosystemsgroup.com>
To: <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Tuesday, September 03, 2013 11:03 PM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] 43 Ft Vertical and Elecraft Tuners

On 9/3/2013 7:30 PM, Fred Jensen wrote:
With the KPA500 at 500W, on 40m, I get a lot of RF from the GAP screwing up things like the WinKey, the laptop, and various other digital gadgets.

The first thing I would do is put a serious ferrite choke on the coax at the antenna. If that doesn't fix it, I'd say it's radiation from the antenna itself.

73, Jim