While OT, still important. There is a new scam, prevalent on the US west coast but might be elsewhere. You receive a phone call from a fast-talking dude who obliquely purports to be from Microsoft. His pitch goes something like, "blah blah this is windows support, we're getting error messages from your computer. Can you get to your computer now ... blah ... we can solve it ... it's all very secure ... blah," at which point I hung up. Have now had 3 more of them.

While there's probably no one on this list who would fall for this, it might be wise to advise less-technically inclined family members of this and to hang up immediately.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2013 Cal QSO Party 5-6 Oct 2013
- www.cqp.org