Hello Hank

I sympathize with these difficult issues - the KRC2 is out of date and its
about time it was replaced but at least it has always been reliable. I have
one and it has never suffered from RF getting into it. Sorry if the below is
stating what is already obvious to you.

This may be a symptom of an RF in the shack problem. The 1ft line should not
be a problem and as long as it is screened additional filtering should not
help. Using RS232 may cure the symptoms but not the cause and your own BCD
interface likewise.

If it is an RF getting into the system problem,  how might that be
happening? A good way to check if it really is RF in the shack is to ask
yourself if you have issues with lots of noise on the bands from the shack
computer. As antennas are reciprocal, if you have significant coupling of RF
back you will also have coupling of noise in.

Obviously with 1500W the antennas will have to be a long way away from the
operating position (for safety if nothing else) so we can probably rule out
this being due to direct radiation from the antenna.  I assume you have
remote antennas and the array solution switch somewhere remote with a long
feeder back to the shack. Maybe at the base of a tower.

Could RF be getting back on the control lines from the remote switch? Are
the control lines screened? Are they running close to the feeder. Putting
ferrite on the switch control lines may help. Ditto the feeder. Burying the
feeder helps a lot but isn't always practical.

One of the worst configurations for this problem is a feeder on a catenary
because it will pick up like an antenna, especially if you have an effective
RF choke at the antenna end. If you have that arrangement, ferrites are the
answer - plus a good short connection to your RF ground where the cable
enters the house.

The other possibility is you are using several feeders via the switch with
an ATU in the shack. That's a problem because you will potentially have a
bad match on the feeder in use, almost certainly a bad match on the feeders
not in use which will result in the pickup from all the feeders merging at
the switch. So, if the remote switch is actually in the shack I would
investigate if you can improve the grounding and maybe move it somewhere
else - like right next to the ground stake.

Mike