 From: Phil Hystad <phys...@mac.com>
To: "elecraft@mailman.qth.net Reflector" <Elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Tuesday, September 10, 2013 9:46 AM
Subject: [Elecraft] Slightly Off-Topic: Roving update of default repeater
station

This question has nothing to do with Elecraft rigs (well, possibly remotely if
I assume a KX3 as mobile with the future to be provided 2-meter option).

Yesterday I drove to Portland from my QTH of Kirkland near Seattle.  This is a
3 1/2 hour trip down I-5 (and, the return).  In the Seattle area, I had my
2-meter mobile rig in my truck sitting on a repeater frequency but it was not
too long before I was out of range of that repeater.  I wondered briefly about
changing to some nearby closer repeater but it was not that important to me but
I started thinking about an automated way to do this.

I have GPS in various guises with my Truck (iPhone, iPad, and my little Garmin
GPS at times), so what if I had a way of extracting location, looking up
location of nearest repeater in my database (if I had one), and then having a
interface to my rig to update the repeater frequency, split offset, tone, etc.
All very possible.

So, my question:  Does such a thing now exist?  I don't pay enough attention to
repeater-life to know what other hams may have already created?

73, phil, K7PEH