Just wrapped up my first CW SS in about 25 years, and the first one with my
K2/100.

The only problem I ran into was after a while WriteLog would say "No Rig!"
and lose its ability to pick up frequency and mode from the K2. I had it
connected through a microHam microKeyer. When it lost contact it could still
send the K2 to a frequency -- just couldn't display it when it got there.

I could reset it by shutting everything off for a few seconds then back on.
Eventually I found an option in WriteLog that let me turn off polling. I
thought "polling" sounded like a good thing to turn off, as I suspected the
K2 was getting overwhelmed by the constant requests.

So.... Is there  a setting in WriteLog somewhere that lets me vary the
polling rate, or is there a fix for this on teh K2 side? Anyone seen this
before?

With respect to software: I'm a big fan of N3FJP (who I worked this
afternoon!) logging software. I've used it for lots of QSO parties and we
used it at Field Day with great success. When I tried having it send code
through the microKeyer, it was very sloppy. My laptop must not be fast
enough for it. And N3FJP doesn't recognize the WinKey keyer that's built
into the microKeyer. So I bought WriteLog. After wading through hundreds of
pages of instructions, editing the .ini file in the Windows folder, and a
lot of trial and error, I got it set up pretty nice. I like the program for
contesting but it needs some major user-friendliness work.

I like the approach WriteLog takes to sending CW. It sets it up as a
background process so it can pay attention to timing. It also recognizes
WinKey. You can tell these guys are serious about contesting (or at least,
more serious than I am). I like the fact that it runs under Windows instead
of DOS.

Anyway thought I'd pass all this along in case others are considering
software and interface hardware to use with the K2.

Craig
NZ0R
K1 #1966
K2/100 #4941

SS results:
432 Q's
75 sections
19 hours, single-op, low power but not QRP.