There are many very functional radios out there that use a mono key jack.
In my case, the IC-746.

Most keyers have their output as a mono RCA jack. The K1EL USB WinKey and
the W9XT Unified Microsystems XT-4 are two such examples. A readily
available  mono RCA to 1/8" cable is exactly what is needed for such, with no
extra
unused  dangling ends of a stereo cable. And a mono plug is easier to wire
up - more  room without the second circuit to deal with.

The suggested firmware change would be pretty simple to implement. We
aren't talking a major DSP redo.

I suspect many other firmware changes have been made to satisfy even  fewer
people.

73  -  Jim  K8MR

In a message dated 9/13/2013 12:54:02 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,